- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Dozens killed in Egypt as Mohammed Morsi supporters stage sit-in
Question of the Day
At least 40 supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi were killed Monday morning during a sit-in near the Republican Guard building where the former Egyptian leader is believed to be under house arrest.
Details are sketchy. Egyptian military heads say only five were killed, but the nation's Health Ministry put the death count at 42.
A spokesman for the Muslim Brotherhood said of that 42, at least five were children, The Associated Press reported. Moreover, hundreds are believed to have been injured.
The deadly violence erupted early in the morning. Military officials say protesters tried to storm the Republican Guard. But a Muslim Brotherhood spokesman denied that to AP and said military forces simply fired into the crowds that had been peaceably gathered to show solidarity with Mr. Morsi.
"This is a crime against humanity," said one Islamist who had left the area shortly before the clashes and violence began, AP reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is 'torture'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq