Just four weeks after the husband of celebrity chef Nigella Lawson was pictured with his hand around her throat, he announced via newspaper that he is filing for divorce.
"I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced," multimillionaire Charles Saatchi told the Daily Mail on Sunday. "I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way."
The couple made headlines last month after Mr. Saatchi was seen grabbing his wife's throat and tweaking her nose for 27 minutes in pictures taken June 9 during an argument at a London restaurant, the Mail reported.
Within hours of the pictures being published in a Sunday newspaper, Ms. Lawson and her son Bruno left Mr. Saatchi's home, and they have not spoken to each other since, the Mail said.
The 70-year-old tycoon said he made the "heartbreaking" decision to divorce his wife of ten years, because she didn't defend his reputation following release of the damning photos.
"There was no grip, it was a playful tiff. The pictures are horrific but give a far more drastic and violent impression of what took place. Nigella's tears were because we both hate arguing, not because she had been hurt," he said. "We had made up by the time we were home. The paparazzi were congregated outside our house after the story broke yesterday morning, so I told Nigella to take the kids off till the dust settled."
Ms. Lawson, known as the "queen of food porn," has written several successful cookbooks and hosted TV shows in Britain and the United States.
© Copyright 2015 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.