- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fair Tax would have prevented IRS scandal
There is no place in a society of free people for a government agency like the Internal Revenue Service. For 80 years, it has been used by administrations of both parties to punish enemies. All citizens are subject to the IRS. Congress has made it so that if we are charged with wrongdoing by the IRS, we must prove ourselves innocent or pay the penalty. This is just plain wrong.
Recently Rep. Dave Camp, Michigan Republican and chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said in a news release that "first steps ... have been taken to correct management flaws at the agency." Management flaws? Those guilty of behaviors described recently in the media should go to prison. The IRS should be dismantled. Congress should be ashamed.
Finally, in the name of "comprehensive tax reform" the "Fair Tax" legislation should be given a fair and public hearing by the Ways and Means Committee. The legislation has been in the possession of this committee for more than 12 years, yet it has not been brought to the table for consideration. If the Fair Tax were the law of the land, the IRS scandal could never have happened. I urge readers: Contact your congressmen with the message: "Kill the IRS and pass the Fair Tax."
GLEN E. TERRELL
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Doctors say profound new HIV treatment may prove the cure
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
- First Dog Sunny knocks down Ashtyn Gardner; Michelle Obama yanks leash