- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fair Tax would have prevented IRS scandal
Question of the Day
There is no place in a society of free people for a government agency like the Internal Revenue Service. For 80 years, it has been used by administrations of both parties to punish enemies. All citizens are subject to the IRS. Congress has made it so that if we are charged with wrongdoing by the IRS, we must prove ourselves innocent or pay the penalty. This is just plain wrong.
Recently Rep. Dave Camp, Michigan Republican and chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said in a news release that "first steps ... have been taken to correct management flaws at the agency." Management flaws? Those guilty of behaviors described recently in the media should go to prison. The IRS should be dismantled. Congress should be ashamed.
Finally, in the name of "comprehensive tax reform" the "Fair Tax" legislation should be given a fair and public hearing by the Ways and Means Committee. The legislation has been in the possession of this committee for more than 12 years, yet it has not been brought to the table for consideration. If the Fair Tax were the law of the land, the IRS scandal could never have happened. I urge readers: Contact your congressmen with the message: "Kill the IRS and pass the Fair Tax."
GLEN E. TERRELL
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Senate overcomes first filibuster of Obama's border-spending bill
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'