A doorman at a Toronto building suggested that if it weren’t for Hollywood actor John Malkovich, a 77-year-old man who accidentally cut his throat on scaffolding may not have recovered so quickly.
The actor was standing on a street in Toronto and smoking a cigarette when the elderly gentleman tripped on scaffolding and slashed his throat, a doorman who witnessed the incident told the Toronto Star. Mr. Malkovich rushed to the man’s aid, applying pressure to the bleeding throat wound until an ambulance arrived.
The doorman said the actor also comforted the victim, identified as Jim Walpole from Ohio.
Mr. Walpole received 10 stitches and should make a full recovery, but he told the Star he never got the chance to thank his rescuer.
“I asked, ‘What’s your name?’ He said, ‘John.’ And I didn’t ask the last name ‘cause I didn’t figure I’d remember it anyhow,” the man said, in The Huffington Post. “[He] took over just like a doctor.”