- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Ex-Rep. Barbara Vucanovich, Nevada’s first congresswoman, dies at 91
Former Rep. Barbara Vucanovich, who was the first woman to represent Nevada in Congress and went on to serve seven terms, died Monday after a short illness, family members said. She was 91.
“Barbara Vucanovich enjoyed her years of service to the people of Nevada, and like other Nevadans we are immensely proud of all she accomplished,” family members said in a statement. “We also know that while Barbara was deeply honored to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives, her family always came first. Perhaps that is why she was so admired as a politician. We will miss her and we wish to extend our thanks to everyone for their support during this time of loss.”
Mrs. Vucanovich, a Republican, was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1982. She was a congresswoman from 1983 to 1997, serving on panels including the House Interior Committee and the House Appropriations Committee.
Born in Camp Dix, N.J., Mrs. Vucanovich was raised in New York state and moved to Reno in the late 1940s. She worked on campaigns and served as a staffer for U.S. Sen. Paul Laxalt before launching her own career in office.
Mrs. Vucanovich had five children and was married to George Vucanovich, who died in 1998.
A funeral is set for Friday at St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Reno.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014