- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
PRICE: Nigeria needs help with Islamists, not Kerry lecture
Question of the Day
Mr. Kerry, attending the 50th anniversary of the African Union last month in Ethiopia, criticized Mr. Jonathan about reports of “credible allegations [of] gross human rights violations by Nigerian soldiers.” Mr. Jonathan noted that civilian casualties were inevitable in the fight against the terrorists.
After the French troops liberated Mali’s northern towns, many of the escaping insurgents moved to neighboring countries, which have seen an increase in terrorist attacks. These Islamists have become affiliated with Boko Haram, undertaking some of the attacks. Nigeria’s Minister of Interior Abba Moro recently noted the difficulty of stopping Islamists from infiltrating Nigeria along 1,000 miles of porous borders.
The United States needs to improve diplomatic relations with Nigeria and not lecture them on U.S. democratic values. There’s time for such discussions behind closed doors.
• John Price is a former U.S. ambassador to Comoros, Mauritius and the Seychelles islands. He currently serves as a resident scholar at the University of Utahs Hinckley Institute of Politics. He is the author of “When the White House Calls,” and regularly writes commentaries on Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.
About the Author
- PRICE: U.S. Embassies — the first line of defense
- PRICE: Mali's presidential election
- PRICE: Obama's miscues in Egypt
- PRICE: Obama missing chance to promote trade in Africa
- PRICE: Mali elections need to be free, fair and transparent
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors