- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Planned Parenthood rebrands ‘pro-choice’ as ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama’s legacy of shame
Question of the Day
Clearly, President Obama and a growing number of the members of his administration have forgotten the George Santayana truism, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” Had they heeded the lessons that came out of the “Pentagon Papers” scandal of the early 1970s and related scandals also dealing with the leaking of classified materials to the press, the Obama administration would not have acted so cavalierly in telling lies to the American people and Congress regarding the tragic fiasco in Benghazi, the IRS scandal, the unconstitutional seizure of business and personal telephone records of The Associated Press and much more malfeasance.
Had they heeded those lessons, they would have learned that the truth is less damaging to a presidency than a lie followed by a cover-up, that using the classification process to hide the misdeeds and mistakes of the administration often works to the disadvantage of the administration and frequently becomes public knowledge anyway, and that punishing whistleblowers sends the message that the administration is more concerned with face-saving than with correcting its mistakes.
From now on, Mr. Obama’s legacy will be forever compared with the legacies of Presidents Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon, legacies of misconduct, lies and cover-ups that brought shame and disgrace to the presidency and this nation.
MAJ. JAMES M. DORN
U.S. Army (retired)
Chino Hills, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens