- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
51st state? Colorado county to vote on secession
Residents in Weld County, Colo., will vote this November to join eight other of the state’s counties and form America’s 51st state — Northern Colorado.
“It started very informally,” said Weld County Commissioner Sean Conway of how the issue was broached at a state meeting of county commissioners in recent weeks, according to the International Business Times. “There was a group of citizens who were and still are very frustrated with being ignored and politically disenfranchised by the political leadership in the state capitol.”
Mr. Conway said the citizen-driven effort at first seemed “a little out there,” the Business Times reported. But research showed the idea was viable.
Rural residents angered by the state’s recent renewable-energy law, as well as other contentious issues such as gun control and fracking, could provide the group with a fresh start, he suggested.
Mr. Conway cited other successful secessions in U.S. history such as Maine, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia.
If the county referendum passes, it will go before the Colorado State Senate for vote. If it passes there, it heads to Congress for the final say.
“If the voters of those counties vote that way, one thing about democracy that you have to respect is the vote of the people,” said State House Speaker Mark Farrandino told the Coloradoan.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.