- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to President Clinton, book claims
- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
Chris Matthews on sequester: Women are dying this week
Liberal television talk-show host Chris Matthews suggested during a Monday broadcast that sequester cuts were killing women — literally.
Speaking with Kim A. Gandy, president and CEO of the National Network to End Domestic Violence and a former president of the National Organization for Women, about the looming cuts to housing and shelter budgets, Mr. Matthews opened his “Hardball” show: “We’ve put a spotlight on the people and the organizations taking the brunt of this arbitrary, across-the-board spending cuts known as sequester.”
He added: “Today, we focus on something pretty scary. It’s cuts to funding of victims of domestic violence.”
And his big question to Ms. Gandy: “How do you get the members of Congress to say, ‘Look, some women are going to die this week because these shelters are closing their doors to them?’”
Ms. Gandy was only too willing to play along.
She responded: “Well, that’s exactly the message that we’re sending.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — 'recreational destruction'
- Lawmakers rail against Air Force rules on religious expression
- Obama family gifts, 2013 -- $1,500 to church; $3K for black causes
- Glenn Beck takes on Hollywood with big movie production plans
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: 'None of your business'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.