- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
HURT: Smart enough to know stupid doesn’t work for GOP
Like Mr. Cruz, Mr. Sasse is staunchly conservative. You don’t have to take his word for it. His three years at the helm of Midland University have been devoted to scrapping tenured professorships and instilling an ethos of strict accountability. Not only for professors, but also students and even the university itself. As a result, enrollment has nearly doubled and the college is looking to expand to a second campus.
Another hitch is that Ben Sasse has spent enough time in Washington to know he would much rather be in Nebraska.
But he has something else going for him. He’s got a wonderfully grounded wife and three beautiful children to whom he is entirely devoted. And Mr. Sasse is smart enough to know that if his children are going to grow up in a free, robust and truly promising America, then there are a lot of things that need to be fixed here in Washington, not Nebraska.
• Charles Hurt can be reached at email@example.com or on Twitter @charleshurt.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Border Patrol policy still permits agents to shoot at rock-throwers
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again