- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
FEULNER: Out on a limb on taxes
Christmas tree ‘assessment’ is rooted in the farm bill
Question of the Day
Eggs: 10 cents per 30-dozen cases of eggs sold, bringing in $18 million annually.
What’s the Christmas-tree tax doing in the farm bill? Good question. As it turns out, though, it’s not the only item you wouldn’t expect to find there.
Take how the farm bill is made up almost entirely (80 percent of it, to be exact) of food stamps. A welfare program such as food stamps should be considered separately from legislation that sets the nation’s agricultural policy.
If the National Christmas Tree Association can’t get its own members to pay this “assessment” without calling in the federal government, that’s a good indication they’ve got a bad idea on their hands.
Even Ebenezer Scrooge would think twice about taxing your Christmas tree. This is one gift that should be marked “return to sender.”
Ed Feulner is founder of the Heritage Foundation (heritage.org).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case