- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Sales of George Orwell’s ‘1984’ soar
Question of the Day
Sales of George Orwell's novel about a Big Brother society that is under complete government control and surveillance, "1984," has soared on Amazon book lists in recent days — and continues to climb by the hour.
June 6 marked the 60th anniversary of the book — at a time when America's government is embroiled in similar-type surveillance scandals. Sales have jumped 91 percent in recent days, Breitbart reported. And they continue to soar. The Washington Examiner reported that between Monday afternoon and Monday evening — during a seven hour time span — the book rose from 161 on Amazon's sales list to 71.
Breitbart, meanwhile, reported other similarly cautious tales of government run amok have seen significant sales increases during the Obama administration. Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" has jumped, and the accompanying movie has done well in series form, too.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq