- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Big Brother lives in NSA surveillance
Question of the Day
It is truly evident that all the information-gathering being done by the current administration is not to prevent terrorist attacks, as it claims (“White House defends NSA collection of Verizon phone records; insists no eavesdropping,” Web, June 6). As a matter of fact, it has been acknowledged that the National Security Agency information gathering may have prevented just one terrorist action. Even that is not a certainty.
I think the American people are justified in their anger over this breach of privacy in the name of protecting this nation. After all, the president himself has stated that the war against terrorism is largely over and that al Qaeda is on the run. Therefore, we can assume that there is an alternate motive for this gathering of information. The Internal Revenue Service and press scandals are just two examples that should make all Americans see that their lives are being monitored through the expansion of the government’s information-gathering system.
Big Brother is alive, thriving and intent on further expansion into our private lives.
Port Orchard, Wash.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine