- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
McDowell ready to put Merion behind him
Furyk, born in the nearby Philly suburb of West Chester and raised in Lancaster, shot a 9-over 79. Furyk, the 2003 U.S. Open champion, won’t be adding a second one to the collection. He hadn’t played Merion Golf Club since the 1989 U.S. Amateur.
“It showed,” he said. “I didn’t do a great job with my prep. I felt like I was ready coming here, but I obviously played very poorly. It was probably my worst putting performance in the last three or four years.”
For years, Furyk hosted the one-day Exelon Invitational at various stops throughout the state. His event was the only professional golf event that the Philadelphia area had on a yearly basis.
He hasn’t held the informal exhibition since 2009 and doesn’t expect it to return. And he doesn’t know when he’ll play again in the area.
“I never really played well at the tournaments here,” he said. “It’s a bummer. I crossed the state at Oakmont for a couple of championships. At 43, there’s not going to be another tournament here at Merion.”
DIVOTS: Stuck in the mud: Tiger Woods’ ski-champion girlfriend Lindsey Vonn had to trek through the mud at Merion like any other fan. “Sums up my day on the golf course… (hash) muddy (hash) usopen2013,” she wrote on Twitter. The tweet went along with a photo of her from the knees down standing ankle-deep in the soupy muck. She later posted a Vine video of various muddy shoes and boots around the course. “Muddy shoes… Best and worst so far. (hash) whatweretheythinking.”
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.