You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Judge denies trial delay for Fort Hood shooting suspect Nidal Hasan

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — A military judge on Tuesday refused a three-month trial delay for the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage.

Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan made the request after the judge earlier this month allowed him to represent himself at the court-martial. Maj. Hasan said he needed more time to prepare for his "defense of others" strategy, which must show that a killing was necessary to prevent the immediate harm or death of others.

Last week, the judge, Col. Tara Osborn, said that defense strategy failed as a matter of law, barring Maj. Hasan from telling jurors that he shot U.S. troops because they posed an immediate threat to Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.

On Tuesday, Maj. Hasan told the judge that he no longer needed more time to prepare, although Col. Osborn said she would give him some additional time. Col. Osborn is expected to set a trial date later Tuesday.

Maj. Hasan, an American-born Muslim, faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted in the attack that left 13 dead on the Texas Army post.

Jury selection was set to begin in late May, then tentatively was moved to early June. It's been on hold as various matters have remained unresolved.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks