- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- Israeli fire hits U.N. facility in Gaza, killing 15
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
Justin Rose finds a coach and a friend
Question of the Day
McIlroy was looking at the wrong time zone when he realized he was running an hour behind. Rollins got him to the Chicago-area golf course in an unmarked car, and McIlroy beat Keegan Bradley as Europe staged a record-tying rally to win.
The car, meanwhile, was to be replaced this year. Instead, the village of Lombard put it up for auction on eBay.
DIVOTS: According to the USGA, Billy Horschel hit all 18 greens in regulation in the second round. He hit 22 greens in regulation over the last two rounds combined. … Steve Stricker and David Lingmerth were the only players to make par all four rounds on the 18th hole at Merion. … The Web.com has a new season-ending tournament, with Winco Foods signing a three-year deal as title sponsor of the Portland Open. It will be played Aug. 21-24 on the Witch Hollow course at Pumpkin Ridge. … Louis Oosthuizen was at the U.S. Open for one day of competition, at least long enough to show off the new logo on his clothing. He is the latest to become a golf brand ambassador for Mercedes-Benz, which also plans to support his junior golf academy in South Africa. … Tiger Woods had a 293, which would have put him into a playoff at Merion with Olin Dutra for the 1934 U.S. Open.
STAT OF THE WEEK: Tiger Woods has not broken 70 in his last 10 rounds, his longest such streak since July 2010.
FINAL WORD: “It’s not getting any easier as I get older.” _ Steve Stricker, 46, on trying to win his first major championship.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq