- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
N.C. schools head suggests exempting teachers from income taxes
Question of the Day
The elected supervisor of North Carolina’s public school system said teachers should be given an exemption from personal income taxes.
June Atkinson, the state superintendent of public instruction, said she suggested the exemption in lieu of pay increases for teachers, which didn’t make the budget presented in legislative chambers, The Daily Caller reported.
The tax exemption would cost the state between $250 million and $300 million, The Daily Caller reported.
“Let’s keep our competent teachers in North Carolina classrooms,” she said in The Daily Caller. “Let’s position North Carolina to be a more attractive state for new teachers. Exempt them from paying personal state income taxes.”
The proposal isn’t likely to go far. One lawmaker who helped write the budget said her idea wasn’t “as well thought out as it should have been,” The Daily Caller reported. The measure could cause chaos among home-schoolers, private-school teachers and a host of others who could make the same claim — they’re important enough to benefit from tax exemptions, too.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- John McCain laments: Obama's 'self-pity … is really kind of sad'
- Michele Bachmann 'There's a chance I could run' for president
- U.S. Navy admiral 'receptive' to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Tennessee restaurant: 'Guns are Welcome' signs cause business to spike
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq