- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
SANDS: A great game honors chess tournament namesake
1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. g3 Bg7 4. Bg2 O-O 5. Nc3 d6 6. d4 Nc6 7. O-O e5 8. d5 Nb8 9. c5 Na6 10. cxd6 cxd6 11. Nd2 Bd7 12. b3 e4 13. Nc4 Ne8 14. Bd2 b5 15. Ne3 f5 16. Rc1 Nf6 17. a3 Qb6 18. Nc2 Rfc8 19. Be3 Qb7 20. Bd4 Nc5 21. Nb4 a5 22. Nc6 Nxd5 23. Nxa5 Rxa5 24. Bxg7 Be6 25. b4 Rxa3 26. Nxd5 Qxd5 27. Qxd5 Bxd5 28. Bh6 Kf7 29. Rfd1 Ke6 30. bxc5 dxc5 31. Be3 Rxe3 32. fxe3 b4 33. Rb1 Ba2 34. Rbc1 Bd5 35. Ra1 c4 36. Ra5 c3 37. Raxd5 c2 38. Rd6+ Ke7 39. Rd7+ Ke6 40. R7d6+ Ke7 41. R6d2 b3 42. Rxc2 Rxc2 43. Kf2 b2 44. Rb1 h5 45. h3 Ke6 46. h4 Kd5 47. g4 hxg4 48. Kg3 Kc4 49. Kf4 Kc3 50. h5 gxh5 51. Kxf5 Rc1 52. Rxb2 Kxb2 53. Kg5 Rc5+ 54. Kf4 Kc3 55. Kxe4 Kd2 White resigns.
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. O-O Nf6 5. d4 Bxd4 6. Nxd4 Nxd4 7. f4 d6 8. fxe5 dxe5 9. Bg5 c6 10. Qd3 Bg4 11. Nc3 b5 12. Qg3 Qb6 13. Be3 Qc5 14. Bd5 O-O-O 15. Rxf6 gxf6 16. Qxg4 f5 17. Qxf5+ Nxf5 18. Bxc5 cxd5 19. exf5 a6 20. Kf2 Rhg8 21. a4 bxa4 22. Rxa4 Kb7 23. Rb4+ Kc6 24. Rb6+ Kxc5 25. Na4+ Kc4 26. b3+ Kd4 27. Rb4 mate.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Shark attack: Miami wins first U.S. Chess League title
- SANDS: Magnus Carlsen's future bright as the new king of chess
- Norway's Magnus Carlsen wins world chess title
- Magnus Carlsen on verge of world chess title with quick win over champion
- SANDS: Carlsen close to chess title as Anand cracks under endgame pressure
Latest Blog Entries
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Snow storm sucker punch: U.S. hit by winter wave
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!