- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay quip
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
Yankees’ Youkilis needs surgery, Teixeira to DL
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Kevin Youkilis needs back surgery and Mark Teixeira returned to the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with an aching right wrist, the latest injury setbacks for the depleted New York Yankees.
Youkilis will miss at least 10-12 weeks after he has the procedure in California on Thursday. He had gone back on the DL last Friday.
The three-time All-Star, who signed a one-year, $12 million contract with New York as a free agent on December 14, has played in only 28 games and is batting .219 with two home runs and eight RBIs.
Teixeira missed the first 53 games of the season because of a wrist injury. Both he and Youkilis returned from their previous DL stints May 31.
The switch-hitting first baseman got off to an encouraging start when he returned but has slumped to a .151 average with three home runs and 12 RBIs in 53 at-bats.
He left the team during its recent West Coast trip, went back to New York and received a cortisone shot Sunday. General manager Brian Cashman said Monday that Teixeira probably would be sidelined at least a week, and he was leaning toward putting the slugger on the DL.
The Yankees recalled outfielder Zoilo Almonte and right-hander Adam Warren from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and designated right-hander Chris Bootcheck for assignment.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- In court filing, NCAA denies legal duty to protect athletes
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
- John McCain to Harry Reid: Ill kick the crap out of you
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness from the carpool lane.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow