- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Al Qaeda militants storm U.N. compound in Somali capital, kill 12
Militants with an al-Qaeda-linked group threw several bombs into the United Nations compound in Mogadishu, Somalia, early Wednesday, storming the facility and unleashing a gunbattle that left at least 12 dead.
Among the dead were five Somali civilians and two al-Shabab attackers, CBS reported. A spokesman for the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia said the first bomb blew around 11:30 a.m. local time (4:30 a.m. EDT), and another two followed within minutes. U.N. staff moved immediately to a nearby bunker, CBS reported.
African Union and Somali security regained control of the compound within an hour. U.N. staffers then were evacuated to a military complex across the street, CBS reported.
Some discrepancies with death and injury tolls exist.
The United Nations has not yet released an official death count. Local officials reported 12; one U.N. worker said four of his colleagues were definitely killed, as well as one Kenyan, one Somalian and two South Africans, CBS reported. Moreover, there are several wounded: One ambulance driver said he had transported 10 with injuries to area hospitals, CBS reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.