- African leader cancels trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag when Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Arrogance of the executive branch
Question of the Day
Multiple ongoing, rapidly spreading and major power intrusions by the Obama administration and weak diligence by congressional oversight and investigative committees have left Americans abused and exposed to an out-of-control, and corrupt executive branch.
The oversight committees have failed to exhibit political strength, penetrative effectiveness and the investigative skills to bring arrogant and power-abusing Obama officials to make revelations about their misconduct, mismanagement and unaccountability for the activities in their organizations. In the final analysis, they all confess to a lack of knowledge of or accountability for their own responsibilities. This increasingly erodes public trust in government, creating a sense of futility among the governed. This condition cannot stand without dire consequences for our republic.
The picture unfolding is one of contempt and arrogance by executive branch officials and of an out-of-touch president who exercises little management oversight and control over his own organization. He spends most of his time shielding himself from scrutiny. The president and his chief officials, the attorney general in particular, are more intent on erecting protective barriers to conceal their abuses than resolving issues.
In a democracy based on constitutional guarantees to rights of liberty and justice, these behaviors and misconduct cannot be tolerated. In the end, the American people must be roused into action and must require their elected representatives to be accountable. Alternatively, they must remove them. Otherwise, we will all sacrifice these rights, and the government will assume them instead.
North Las Vegas, Nev.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens