- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Pitcher safety against liners still issue for MLB
Helmets? Protective cap liners? A protective screen, like in batting practice? All of these have been suggested. None have been acclaimed in baseball. Neither by rookies or veterans.
“I’m not going to overreact to that because I’m not real sure a guy can pitch with a helmet to be honest with you,” Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. “I can’t imagine a pitcher out there pitching with an ear flap on. … I hate to sound cold about it because I don’t mean to, but I’m not sure that’ll work.”
Ideally, baseball won’t have to find out.
“Hopefully it doesn’t get to the point where there is a mandate to wear something,” Pestano said. “Because that would mean something tragic has happened.”
AP Sports Writers Tom Withers in Cleveland, Larry Lage in Detroit and Janie McCauley in San Francisco, and AP freelancers Brian Dulik in Cleveland and Mark Schmetzer in Cincinnati contributed to this report.
Follow Rick Freeman on twitter at: https://twitter.com/RWFreeman
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.