- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
British P.M. Cameron to Syrian military: Toss Assad and we’ll give you amnesty
British Prime Minister sent a brief message to Syria's military on Wednesday: Help oust President Bashar Assad and we’ll grant amnesty and give 100 percent forgiveness for crimes against the civilians.
Mr. Cameron’s call for coup was aimed at bringing a speedy end to more than two years of violence that has plagued the nation, leaving as many as 93,000 dead. He put the offer on the table after G-8 discussions failed to gain widespread consensus — most notably, from Russia — for international military intervention to end the civil war, The Times of Israel reported.
The Friends of Syria — comprised of foreign ministers of 11 Western and Arab nations — is due to hold a conference in Doha on Friday, and Mr. Cameron’s remarks are likely to take front and center of discussions, the Times reported.
The conference is aimed at deciding the best way to provide weapons to the Syrian rebel fighters, the Times said.
Some in the Arab world are cautioning against Mr. Cameron’s recommendation, however. The editorial in Al-Quds Al-Arabi states: “Cameron wants to eliminate the strength of jihadi groups and strengthen the moderate Syrian opposition government so that a dialogue can be held with the leaders of such a coup. … But what happens if such efforts fail? The only resort will be for Britain and its allies to invade.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arlington National Cemetery short on graveside wreaths
- Wendy's worker mistakenly serves burger with marijuana joint
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- John Kerry: Israel-Palestinian peace deal 'closer' than ever
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
Latest Blog Entries
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'economic freedom zones' for Detroit
- Redskins' season hits bottom with Chiefs blowout
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- FENNO: Mike Shanahan's empty words no salve to free-falling Redskins
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Sen. Rand Paul: 'I am seriously thinking about' running for president in 2016
- Legalizing illegal immigrants is the solution to Obamacare: Democrat
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
"Critical thinking is thinking about your thinking while you're thinking in order to make your thinking better." - Dr. Richard Paul
Go beyond tourism's "top 10" bus tour destinations with Susan McKee as she explores the varied history, culture, food, and gardens, of the world.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!