- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
MLB legend Joe Torre’s daughter catches falling baby
Good hands. Cristina Torre, the daughter of Major League Baseball legend Joe Torre — who won the National League All-Star recognition for his skills as catcher — saved a 1-year-old who was plummeting to his death.
She was walking by a Brooklyn building on Wednesday when she saw a baby falling from a fire escape, two stories up, and reached out to catch him, Fox News reported.
The boy had crawled out the window of an apartment on the second story, CNN reported. He then climbed onto the fire escape and fell, hitting the awning of a frozen yogurt shop and bouncing into the air.
Joe Torre, who also served as manager for the New York Yankees from 1996 to 2007 — and as a player manager for the New York Mets — said he couldn’t be prouder.
The baby’s parents were charged with child endangerment — especially after police learned the window the boy crawled through had been open, with a piece of cardboard wedged in the spot. The couple’s three other children, aged 2, 3 and 5, were taken into Child Protective Services custody, CNN reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.