- Teen OK after riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Kraft recalls 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer hot dogs over cheese error
- Boy Scouts boots church as host after gay leadership dispute
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s new book raises 2016 presidential speculation
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Rep. Marsha Blackburn: Hillary Clinton won’t be first female president
- French president accuses Syria’s Assad of gassing his own citizens
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Speak softly, but maintain the biggest stick
President Obama apparently has forgotten the immortal words of the old Rough Rider. When Teddy Roosevelt said, “Speak softly, but carry a big stick,” things may not have been as scientifically and militarily advanced as they are today, but common sense was just as essential to our national survival.
All that attempting to keep our enemies on a military and economic par with the United States will accomplish is to invite yet another Pearl Harbor (or worse). And all that those proposed one-third reductions to our nuclear arsenals, along with the continuing depletion of our military capabilities will garner for us, is yet another bloody nose. Community organizing and appeasement are, after all, splendid things in stable times, but I doubt seriously that these skills will ensure our continuing security or even our future survival.
So what if we have enough nukes to destroy the civilized world many times over? The best and indeed the only way to ensure our existence is to continue to make certain that our enemies never forget this fact of life in the real world. And so it is, unfortunately. And why does the name Arthur Neville Chamberlain, along with the years 1937 to 1940, keep popping into my mind?
H. RICK TAVARES
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- No rush: Bob Goodlatte waits for heads to cool on heated legislation