- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Speak softly, but maintain the biggest stick
Question of the Day
President Obama apparently has forgotten the immortal words of the old Rough Rider. When Teddy Roosevelt said, “Speak softly, but carry a big stick,” things may not have been as scientifically and militarily advanced as they are today, but common sense was just as essential to our national survival.
All that attempting to keep our enemies on a military and economic par with the United States will accomplish is to invite yet another Pearl Harbor (or worse). And all that those proposed one-third reductions to our nuclear arsenals, along with the continuing depletion of our military capabilities will garner for us, is yet another bloody nose. Community organizing and appeasement are, after all, splendid things in stable times, but I doubt seriously that these skills will ensure our continuing security or even our future survival.
So what if we have enough nukes to destroy the civilized world many times over? The best and indeed the only way to ensure our existence is to continue to make certain that our enemies never forget this fact of life in the real world. And so it is, unfortunately. And why does the name Arthur Neville Chamberlain, along with the years 1937 to 1940, keep popping into my mind?
H. RICK TAVARES
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals