- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Speak softly, but maintain the biggest stick
Question of the Day
President Obama apparently has forgotten the immortal words of the old Rough Rider. When Teddy Roosevelt said, “Speak softly, but carry a big stick,” things may not have been as scientifically and militarily advanced as they are today, but common sense was just as essential to our national survival.
All that attempting to keep our enemies on a military and economic par with the United States will accomplish is to invite yet another Pearl Harbor (or worse). And all that those proposed one-third reductions to our nuclear arsenals, along with the continuing depletion of our military capabilities will garner for us, is yet another bloody nose. Community organizing and appeasement are, after all, splendid things in stable times, but I doubt seriously that these skills will ensure our continuing security or even our future survival.
So what if we have enough nukes to destroy the civilized world many times over? The best and indeed the only way to ensure our existence is to continue to make certain that our enemies never forget this fact of life in the real world. And so it is, unfortunately. And why does the name Arthur Neville Chamberlain, along with the years 1937 to 1940, keep popping into my mind?
H. RICK TAVARES
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- KEENE: Thinking outside nanny-state box with Paul Ryan
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'