- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Israel being singled out once more
Is history repeating itself?
It was extremely disappointing to read that Germany, under pressure from the left-wing anti-Zionist Green Party, will join the 13 other European Union members in labeling merchandise made in Jewish-owned factories in Israel as being "made by Jews" (Commentary, "A label for the Jews, again," June 20). It does bring back images of Kristallnact, "the night of broken glass," when Nazis destroyed Jewish stores and plastered the word "Jude" on storefronts so people would not buy from Jews.
I'm sorry to say similar happenings are taking place right here in our own country. I was disgusted to learn in 2010 that Costco, under pressure from pro-Palestinian groups, removed Israeli-made Ahava products from their shelves and discontinued selling them. Other American stores have been boycotted and harassed for selling the Ahava Dead Sea products. Their intention is to hurt Israel in the pocketbook. This is blatant anti-Semitism.
Israel is a small, beautiful and flourishing country the size of New Jersey. I had the pleasure of visiting there in 2006. It depends on exports and tourism to bolster its economy. Israel employs tens of thousands of Palestinians and pays them 88 percent more than they would be paid in their own Palestinian-controlled areas. Israel offers work to Palestinians who in their own areas do not have the right to work.
Why is Israel being singled out again? They do not deserve this. If we do not learn lessons from the past, we are bound to repeat them in the future.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Extra charge on the bill reminds everyone who's paying
Get Breaking Alerts
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults