- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Israel being singled out once more
Is history repeating itself?
It was extremely disappointing to read that Germany, under pressure from the left-wing anti-Zionist Green Party, will join the 13 other European Union members in labeling merchandise made in Jewish-owned factories in Israel as being "made by Jews" (Commentary, "A label for the Jews, again," June 20). It does bring back images of Kristallnact, "the night of broken glass," when Nazis destroyed Jewish stores and plastered the word "Jude" on storefronts so people would not buy from Jews.
I'm sorry to say similar happenings are taking place right here in our own country. I was disgusted to learn in 2010 that Costco, under pressure from pro-Palestinian groups, removed Israeli-made Ahava products from their shelves and discontinued selling them. Other American stores have been boycotted and harassed for selling the Ahava Dead Sea products. Their intention is to hurt Israel in the pocketbook. This is blatant anti-Semitism.
Israel is a small, beautiful and flourishing country the size of New Jersey. I had the pleasure of visiting there in 2006. It depends on exports and tourism to bolster its economy. Israel employs tens of thousands of Palestinians and pays them 88 percent more than they would be paid in their own Palestinian-controlled areas. Israel offers work to Palestinians who in their own areas do not have the right to work.
Why is Israel being singled out again? They do not deserve this. If we do not learn lessons from the past, we are bound to repeat them in the future.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
Get Breaking Alerts
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Kirsten Dunst: Actress sparks feminist ire: 'You need a man to be a man'
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to Cyprus dispute is no 'mistake'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's real wealth redistribution scheme
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare numbers nothing to celebrate
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Unanswered bus-crash questions
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lerner won't face meaningful punishment