- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: NRA T-shirt and the First Amendment
The 14-year-old West Virginia student who was arrested in April after refusing to remove his National Rifle Association T-shirt was formally charged with obstructing an officer last week and could face up to a year in jail. Jared Marcum, then an eighth-grader at Logan Middle School in Logan, W.Va., got into an argument in late April with his teacher, who requested that the youth remove an NRA T-shirt that featured the image of a rifle and the "Protect Your Right" slogan. The Logan County School District prohibits clothing with profanity, violence or discriminatory messages, but does not mention gun images.
When Jared objected, the police were called, and he was arrested for obstructing an officer and disrupting the educational process. He returned to school the next week in the same T-shirt to make a point, and other students reportedly wore similar shirts as a showing of solidarity.
Now, Jared faces a $500 fine and a maximum of one year in jail. Every aspect of this is just totally wrong. If this poor kid goes to jail for a year our system just created a criminal for life. Go after the gang members in Chicago and Camden, N.J., instead. Stop going after these poor kids for something their liberal teachers don't believe in. These teachers need to stick to teaching, not pushing their political views onto our children. All this kid did was exercise his First Amendment rights.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'