- The Washington Times - Sunday, June 23, 2013


As an NBA fan, it’s difficult this time of year to await the NBA draft, which is this week, and not think about University of Maryland star Len Bias, who was taken by the Boston Celtics with the No. 2 pick in the 1986 June draft and was dead two days later. Sadly, Bias played a role in his own death by ingesting drugs.

That still hurts.

Yet, there’s another sports tragedy that stings even more, and that is the killing of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor during a break-in at his Florida home and the fact that justice is moving agonizingly slow.

Colleague Nathan Fenno, a great reporter and wonderful storyteller, explains in Monday’s editions of The Washington Times who and what helped to drag a murder case that began Nov. 27, 2007, when five suspects broke into Taylor’s Miami home.

The entry of the story is told through the monotonous goings-on of murderer Venjah Hunte, with whom Mr. Fenno has been corresponding and who maintains a measure of human dignity in Miami’s Metro West Detention Center by sticking to a daily routine that includes prayer.

Hunte agreed to a plea deal in 2008 and is serving a 29-year sentence, the only person connected with the killing who has had his day in court.

And, like the rest of us, Hunte waits.

From the outside, it seems as though the key players charged with meting out justice and the defendants are mocking the Sixth Amendment’s “speedy trial” clause.

The judge issued a gag order in 2008, so who knows?

Curiously, one of the defendants — Eric Rivera, the suspected gunman — is writhing like a snake in the grass: Last year, he dropped his defense attorney and just this month filed a motion to represent himself, Mr. Fenno tells us.

The lawyer for another defendant got busted in a wire-fraud scheme.

The delays and motions leave us now waiting to see what will happen in August, when Mr. Rivera and the three others, all behind bars and all charged with first-degree murder, are scheduled for trials that, Mr. Fenno says, “have been relentlessly delayed since the first attempt in April 2008.”

“Last year, for instance, a trial date of April 16 became Nov. 5, then April 5 of this year,” he reports. “The latest try is set for August.”

Mr. Fenno reminds us that it was nearly 5 ago that would-be burglars broke into Taylor’s walled-off home at about 1:40 a.m. and mortally wounded him when a bullet cut his femoral artery.

Story Continues →