- Ann Coulter takes up ‘Mitt Romney for President’ chant again
- Mount Everest avalanche kills a dozen Sherpa guides
- Vice principal saved from South Korean sinking ferry found hanged
- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Priest rightly chides Pelosi on abortion
Bravo to the Rev. Frank Pavone, national director of Priests for Life, for telling House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to choose whether to be orthodox in her professed Catholic faith or in her adherence to liberal Democrat Party principles (“Priest slams Nancy Pelosi: Stop ‘betraying’ Catholicism or renounce faith,” Web, June 21). She is not alone in her hypocrisy. Catholics make up about 30 percent of the 112th Congress, and almost every Catholic Democrat shares her inconsistent, duplicitous position.
The church hierarchy would perhaps be in a better position to deal forthrightly and powerfully with these politicians’ scandalous behavior. But the U.S. bishops’ embrace of the Democrat Party’s social justice agenda has historically made them reluctant to be as overtly critical of wayward Catholic Democrats as they might otherwise be.
Maybe, though, the way in which the church’s free exercise of its beliefs is being circumscribed by Democrats’ implementation of various Obamacare contraceptive and abortifacient mandates has stiffened its spine. Maybe it’s finally ready to say what it should have been saying all along; namely, no one has to be a Catholic, but no one can be who holds Mrs. Pelosi’s position on abortion.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Golden Hammer: Easter candy bitter taste for taxpayers?
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable