- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: D.C. statehood a matter of rights
Question of the Day
Deborah Simmons‘ ridiculous opinion that we shouldn’t spend money pursuing our rights but should instead use that money to fix D.C. streets shows Ms. Simmons just doesn’t get it (“Money for D.C. statehood not the right road,” Web, June 16). She writes, “I don’t know nothin’ about building roads, bridges and ramps.” Well, I got news for her: she also “don’t know nothin’” about democracy, civil rights or the 14th Amendment. These are the rights Thomas Jefferson said were self-evident to everyone — with the exception of Ms. Simmons, apparently. I wonder, if she had been in Montgomery, Ala., in 1953, would she have told Rosa Parks to sit down, shut up and worry about air conditioning the buses so everyone could enjoy the ride?
MICHAEL D. BROWN
Shadow senator for the District
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops