- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
Racist or reality? FBI pulls ‘Faces of Global Terrorism’ ads
Question of the Day
The FBI has decided to pull its "Faces of Global Terrorism" ads from billboards and buses in the Seattle area after several people complained they stereotyped Muslims.
The ads feature pictures of 16 men wanted around the globe for terrorist activities below the words: "Faces of Global Terrorism."
"You look at the pictures, they're all one color of folks," said Rep. Jim McDermott, a Washington Democrat who asked the FBI to pull the "racist" ads.
"Terrorists come in all shapes and sizes. If you're gonna talk about terrorists, then don't just talk about people with brown skin," he said, according to KING 5 News. "How many white faces were there on there?"
Seattle FBI Special Agent Fred Gutt said the agency agrees that the ads could increase the risk of hate crimes against Muslims. The FBI is working to swap out those ads with others promoting the State Department's "Rewards for Justice" program, the Associated Press reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Andrew Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq