- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
Report: Yanks GM angry at A-Rod for Twitter update
NEW YORK (AP) - Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees are not seeing eye to eye on his hip injury.
The star third baseman tweeted Tuesday night that his hip surgeon has cleared him to play in rehabilitation games, a move that angered Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, according to ESPN.com.
“You know what, when the Yankees want to announce something, (we will),” Cashman told the website.
“Alex should just shut … up,” the GM said, punctuating his comment with a profanity.
Cashman added that he planned to get in touch with Rodriguez right away.
The general manager did not respond to calls from The Associated Press.
Rodriguez had left hip surgery on Jan. 16 and has been working out since May at the Yankees’ Tampa complex. The three-time AL MVP took swings in a simulated-game situation for the first time on Monday.
On Tuesday night, he posted a message on Twitter: “Visit from Dr. Kelly over the weekend, who gave me the best news _ the green light to play games again!” Rodriguez also posted a photo of himself and Dr. Brian Kelly, who performed the operation in New York.
Rodriguez did not stop to speak with reporters Wednesday when he drove into the team’s minor league complex in Tampa, Fla.
“I will continue to work hard until my efforts get me back in pinstripes and help my team win,” Rodriguez said in a statement. “The tweet was pure excitement about Dr. Kelly’s prognosis.”
Cashman recently said Yankees doctors have not yet cleared A-Rod for minor league rehab games.
“I don’t tweet, and I really don’t follow Twitter. So I probably don’t really know much of what is going on. As far as I know he has not been cleared,” Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Tuesday night after his team’s 4-3 victory over Texas.
“There’s always a chain of command with injuries. There has to be and that’s the process. It goes through our training staff, our doctors and our GM and then it goes to me. I’m down on the totem pole.”
Before the game _ and Rodriguez’s tweet _ Girardi said Rodriguez “is making progress, which is good.”
“He’s in sim games until they decide he’s ready to go out on a rehab. It’s not yet,” the manager said.
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Snow storm sucker punch: U.S. hit by winter wave
- Syria mess may spawn 'Islamic emirate' world must deal with, says Iraq's top diplomat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- GORDON: Purging America's military
- Obamacare's bold vision turns murky: Health reform downsized, promises broken
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!