- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Texas set to carry out 500th execution
Question of the Day
Texas will reach a dubious milestone Wednesday when convicted killer Kimberly McCarthy is put to death, as it will mark the state’s 500th execution since 1982.
McCarthy, whose execution is set to take place in Huntsville, will be the first woman to be executed in the United States since 2010 and the 500th overall in Texas since the state resumed the death penalty in 1982, according to the Associated Press.
Maurie Levin, McCarthy’s attorney, said all appeals have been exhausted.
“If there was something to appeal, I would,” she said.
Texas has carried out an estimated 40 percent of the more than 1,300 executions that have taken place in the nation since 1976.
McCarthy is being executed for the 1997 robbery, beating and stabbing death of Dorothy Booth, a retired university psychology professor. Police said McCarthy, a former nursing home worker who became addicted to crack cocaine, is tied to two other murders.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- 'No American is proud' of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- Planned Parenthood strikes 'pro-choice' label in favor of 'women's health'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By James A. Lyons Jr.
The president has shifted alliance from friend to enemy
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world