Continued from page 1

Al Chalabi said he was arrested in Pakistan some time after the Sept. 11 Benghazi attack and questioned by Pakistani and U.S. interrogators at a prison in Islamabad about Stevens’ death.

Chalabi told the news outlet that he “denied any links” to the U.S. ambassador’s murder and claimed he was unaware of Stevens’ death until it was announced.

Al Chalabi claimed he was injured at the time of the Benghazi attack.

He was then deported to Libya and arrested by Libyan security authorities at the Tripoli airport and taken to a military police prison.

He said in the published interview that FBI agents interrogated him and accused him of being one of the planners of the attack, but not the central planner. He was shown photos of people linked to the attack and asked to identify them.

“They said that I was a resident of the eastern region [of Libya] and the attack on the U.S. Consulate was carried out there,” al Chalabi was quoted as saying. “Moreover, because I was in Abu-Salim Prison, they thought that I knew some of them [people in photos], as some of the photos were of people that were believed to be prisoners in Abu-Salim Prison. I told them that I do not know any of them, because they were young, while the people who were with me in the prison were older.”

Regarding his questioning by U.S. officials on Stevens’ death, al Chalabi said: “They pretended to know everything, because they were rigid in their questioning, but the truth is that until now, the Americans do not know who carried out this attack which led to the death of their ambassador or who destroyed their consulate; they are confused. At times they say that it happened against the backdrop of a popular attack over the film that offends the prophet, peace be upon him, and at other times they say it was planned. If it was planned, they do not know who did it.”

Al Chalabi said a judge ruled that there was no evidence against him and allowed him to be released, adding that he believed “the Americans did not want to do so.”

His passport was seized to prevent him from leaving Libya and he must report to a police station once a week, he said.

The Benghazi attack has become a major focus of House Republicans, who have charged the Obama administration lied about the terrorist attack, claiming it was the outgrowth of a protest and not a coordinated terrorist strike.

At least two House committees are investigating the attack.

The State Department Accountability Review Board concluded in a report that the department was guilty of a series of security failures related to the attack.

President Barack Obama vowed to bring the attackers to justice.

But so far the FBI has failed to apprehend any of the attackers.

“The administration remains committed to bringing to justice the perpetrators of this attack, but for all details on the investigation, I refer you to the FBI,” State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told the Washington Free Beacon.

Story Continues →