- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
AT&T National: Ken Duke walks course as a champion for first time
Duke averaged 288.5 yards Thursday. He consistently was behind his playing partners. Nick Watney, age 32, averaged 311 yards, and Billy Horschel, 26, averaged 308.
“I don’t hit it as far as some of these guys,” Duke said. “You’ve really got to hit it long and high here on this golf course.”
Still, Duke’s even-par score was his best in five rounds at Congressional in this event. He was relaxed, even during a poor start.
He bogeyed two of the first five holes, a span that included a 21-foot par save on No. 11. That didn’t deter him from walking along the ropes to converse with an old friend in the gallery.
“He’s a great guy, one of the best guys out on tour,” Horschel said. “For him to get that victory, you saw how much it meant to him. At the age of 44, who knows how many more chances at victory he has? Hopefully he does have a lot more, but obviously when you get up there in age, it does become a lot tougher.”
That’s why Sunday was so sweet for Ray. At least there won’t be so much tension when he walks the course with his son from now on.
“I don’t know that words can describe it,” Ray said. “It’s very gratifying to him to be able to win because even though you’re on the tour, if you haven’t won, mentally you really think, ‘I’m still not really a big part of that.’ But now that he’s won and all the players come up and shake hands and high five, aw, it’s just a confidence builder.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.