- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
HIV, syphilis on the rise in Bangkok
HIV, syphilis on the rise in Bangkok By Cheryl K. Chumley Bangkok is experiencing a resurgence of HIV and syphilis cases among gay men, U.S. and Thai authorities reported on Friday.
The number of syphilis cases have more than doubled in gay men between 2005 and 2011, from five percent to 12.5 percent, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported in its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. And the number of HIV cases in the gay male community rose from 24.5 percent to 29.4 percent during that same time frame, the report said, in Agence France-Presse.
"These data show ongoing and increasing epidemics of HIV and syphilis infection among [men who have sex with men] in Bangkok," the report authors found.
In 2003, when the team that wrote the study first started collecting and tracking data on HIV, the prevalence of it was 17 percent, AFP said.
The data only came from the CDC based on patients who went to one particular clinic in Bangkok and asked for sexually transmitted infection testing, AFP said. The findings are not representative of the entire gay population in Thailand.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.