- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Bloody Big Apple: 25 shootings in 48 hours leaves 6 dead, girl paralyzed in NYC
A spate of weekend shootings in New York City left six dead and more than a dozen injured, including an 11-year-old girl who was caught by a stray bullet outside her apartment and left paralyzed.
The total for the weekend, police said in the New York Daily News: 25 shooting victims in a 48-hour period.
Twelve were hit by bullets in Brooklyn, eight in the Bronx, four in Queens and one in Manhattan — that last, a broad daylight shooting that left one dead in the streets, the Daily News said.
The 11-year-old girl was shot was outside her apartment on Friday evening when a teen began to spray bullets at rival gang members, police said, in the paper. A bullet hit her and lodged in her spine.
“She can’t feel her legs. She has pain in her arms,” said her mother, Priscilla Mazyck, of her daughter, Tayloni, in the Daily News. Doctors say she will never walk again.
The weekend violence is 5 percent of this year’s 440 reported shootings for the city — and that’s actually a drop of 23 percent, from the 574 reported gun victims this time last year, the Daily News said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.