- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
DE SILVA: Citizens, but not Americans
Dual citizenship encourages divided loyalties
Question of the Day
After all, we do not allow people to have two spouses at the same time, do we? There is no reason to think that maintaining a foreign citizenship somehow strengthens anyone’s loyalty to the United States.
Immigration reform is under way in Congress. Congressional action will be an insult to the slain and the maimed in Boston unless it concentrates first on drastically tightening our legal immigration and naturalization laws. The debate over how to legalize millions of illegal immigrants should be a secondary issue. In fact, until our legal immigration system is made respectable again, no one will respect it, and illegal immigration will be an ongoing consequence.
As for reforming naturalization law, Congress can start by explicitly proscribing dual citizenship. The law should require complete renunciation of foreign citizenship before U.S. citizenship is granted. Any naturalized citizen carrying a foreign passport should lose his U.S. citizenship — no ifs, ands or buts.
However, do not expect such a common-sense policy from this Congress or this White House. Our government cares more about pandering to foreigners than about protecting Americans from barbarians who come here to kill us.
Ian de Silva is an engineer who has interests in politics and history.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports