- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Congress not elected to write Dan Snyder
When most of us prepare to go on vacation, we focus on tidying up and leaving nothing important behind or undone. Not our national leaders.
Not content with the berating of the Washington Redskins moniker already done by other current and former officials, 10 members of Congress recently decided to chime in with their thoughts about the team name in a letter to Redskins owner Dan Snyder, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Redskins sponsor FedEx and the rest of the NFL’s team owners — just before leaving for recess (“Members of Congress urge Redskins to change name,” Web, May 28).
Don’t our public servants have something better to do — say, address sequestration, tax and entitlement reform, joblessness, climate change, gun violence, student-loan debt, veterans’ suicides, sexual assaults in the military, etc.? In short, they should not be perpetrating yet another distracting “scandal” to move the goal post on the people’s business.
KAREN ANN DeLUCA
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- House pushes through two-year Ryan-Murray budget deal
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- White House improvises again on patchy Obamacare rollout
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?