- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Don’t confirm Pritzker
Question of the Day
To some, Commerce Secretary nominee Penny Pritzker is known as “the Bundler” of campaign cash. She is also a Hyatt hotel heiress and billionaire who was President Obama’s 2008 campaign-finance manager (“Commerce nominee Pritzker downplays role in management of failed bank,” Web, May 23).
The job of the Commerce Department is to engage in sensitive, nonpartisan international discussions to draft and revise trade agreements. The department is also involved in securing access to lucrative markets for many businesses, including international hotel conglomerates such as Hyatt.
More recently, the Commerce Department has come under fire for being powerless to prevent or even enabling vulture-capitalist takeovers in existing markets by international brands when previous awardees have been notified that their local business “status” has been revoked, owing to a renegotiated trade agreement between the Commerce Department and the host government.
We should all see Ms. Pritzker’s nomination as secretary of commerce for was it is: prejudicial and a pay-to-play reward for a would-be vulture capitalist with all the aces in her hand. It is for these reasons and because of the many unresolved union complaints against Hyatt that Ms. Pritzker should not be confirmed as secretary of commerce.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals