- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Don’t confirm Pritzker
To some, Commerce Secretary nominee Penny Pritzker is known as “the Bundler” of campaign cash. She is also a Hyatt hotel heiress and billionaire who was President Obama’s 2008 campaign-finance manager (“Commerce nominee Pritzker downplays role in management of failed bank,” Web, May 23).
The job of the Commerce Department is to engage in sensitive, nonpartisan international discussions to draft and revise trade agreements. The department is also involved in securing access to lucrative markets for many businesses, including international hotel conglomerates such as Hyatt.
More recently, the Commerce Department has come under fire for being powerless to prevent or even enabling vulture-capitalist takeovers in existing markets by international brands when previous awardees have been notified that their local business “status” has been revoked, owing to a renegotiated trade agreement between the Commerce Department and the host government.
We should all see Ms. Pritzker’s nomination as secretary of commerce for was it is: prejudicial and a pay-to-play reward for a would-be vulture capitalist with all the aces in her hand. It is for these reasons and because of the many unresolved union complaints against Hyatt that Ms. Pritzker should not be confirmed as secretary of commerce.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'