- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Don’t confirm Pritzker
To some, Commerce Secretary nominee Penny Pritzker is known as “the Bundler” of campaign cash. She is also a Hyatt hotel heiress and billionaire who was President Obama’s 2008 campaign-finance manager (“Commerce nominee Pritzker downplays role in management of failed bank,” Web, May 23).
The job of the Commerce Department is to engage in sensitive, nonpartisan international discussions to draft and revise trade agreements. The department is also involved in securing access to lucrative markets for many businesses, including international hotel conglomerates such as Hyatt.
More recently, the Commerce Department has come under fire for being powerless to prevent or even enabling vulture-capitalist takeovers in existing markets by international brands when previous awardees have been notified that their local business “status” has been revoked, owing to a renegotiated trade agreement between the Commerce Department and the host government.
We should all see Ms. Pritzker’s nomination as secretary of commerce for was it is: prejudicial and a pay-to-play reward for a would-be vulture capitalist with all the aces in her hand. It is for these reasons and because of the many unresolved union complaints against Hyatt that Ms. Pritzker should not be confirmed as secretary of commerce.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers