- Ben Sasse scores Sen. Ted Cruz’s endorsement for Nebraska Senate primary
- Beer-flavored lollipops make debut: ‘An All-American slam-dunk’
- Gabby Giffords’ gun control push gets high-profile speaker: Bill Clinton
- Tony Blair to warn West: Take sides against radical Islam
- Pfc. Bradley Manning’s name change to Chelsea heads to court
- NYPD’s attempt at positive Twitter outreach campaign proves to be an epic fail
- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
South African banks may hold $1B stolen by Gadhafi
More than $1 billion in cash, gold and diamonds believed looted by slain Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi may have been found stashed away in several South African banks, a local news agency reported Sunday.
Libyan investigators are working with the Arab League and Interpol to discuss locating, securing and repatriating the loot being held by four banks and two security companies in South Africa, according to the Sunday Times of South Africa.
The amount is only a fraction of the estimated $80 billion of Gadhafi’s foreign assets, the Sunday Times reported. Libyan authorities believe stolen assets are hidden around the world, Fox News reports.
Some of the information investigators are using to trace the funds is understood to have come from Libya’s former intelligence chief, Abdullah al-Senussi, who was arrested in March 2012 for crimes against humanity, the Sunday Times reports. He is in jail in Libya awaiting trial.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bill Ayers, Noam Chomsky to give their side in new Dinesh D'Souza film
- Vice reporter Simon Ostrovsky being held by east Ukraine militants: report
- Mayor who sympathized with Kansas City shooter steps down
- Media Matters demands Sharyl Attkisson provide evidence for targeting claims
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say 'Jerusalem, Israel'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- HURT: President Obama's 'Selfie Doctrine'
- SOWELL: The high cost of liberalism, open spaces and affordable housing
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren: 'I'm not running for president'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.