- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
FEULNER: A fallacious farm bill
Subsidies benefit rich farmers, hurt small ones
“Rhode Island hosts SNAP-themed bingo games for the elderly,” The Washington Post reports. “Alabama hands out fliers that read: ‘Be a patriot. Bring your food-stamp money home.’ Three states in the Midwest throw food-stamp parties, where new recipients sign up en masse.”
Small wonder that food-stamp enrollment has doubled under this administration. Deliberately encouraging dependency is a far cry from providing temporary help to the truly needy.
Plus, there’s another benefit, from a legislative perspective. It’s easier to hide pork-barrel spending in a large bill. Better to sneak in money for a special-interest project when it’s embedded in a bill few people are likely to read, including lawmakers.
Will we finally shoo the rich and famous away from the federal trough, and make other changes to our nation’s outdated farm policy? Or will we bring another bumper crop of subsidies to market?
Ed Feulner is founder of the Heritage Foundation (heritage.org).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class