- Beer-flavored lollipops make debut: ‘An All-American slam-dunk’
- Gabby Giffords’ gun control push gets high-profile speaker: Bill Clinton
- Tony Blair to warn West: Take sides against radical Islam
- Pfc. Bradley Manning’s name change to Chelsea heads to court
- NYPD’s attempt at positive Twitter outreach campaign proves to be an epic fail
- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
Cosmos sign jersey sponsorship with Emirates
NEW YORK (AP) - With Pele looking on, the revived New York Cosmos signed a jersey sponsorship contract with Emirates Airline as the team prepares to start play in the second-tier North American Soccer League this summer.
The 72-year-old, the team’s honorary president, arrived a half-hour late for the news conference at a Manhattan.
Featuring stars such as Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Giorgio Chinaglia, the Cosmos played in the old NASL from 1971-84 and folded in 1985.
The relaunched team, run by CEO Seamus O’Brien, starts play at Shuart Stadium in Hempstead, N.Y., on Aug. 3 against Fort Lauderdale. The Cosmos hope to construct a $400 million, 25,000-seat stadium at Belmont Park racetrack.
Emirates Air also is the jersey sponsor of Arsenal, AC Milan, Hamburg, Paris Saint-Germain and, starting next season, Real Madrid.
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- HURT: President Obama's 'Selfie Doctrine'
- SOWELL: The high cost of liberalism, open spaces and affordable housing
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren: 'I'm not running for president'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.