- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Kathleen Sebelius: ‘Obamacare’ has dedicated provisions for LGBTs
And the promotion of these benefits comes to coincide with President Obama’s declaration of June as LGBT Pride Month, the Washington Examiner reported.
“For too long,” she said, in the Examiner report, “[they] were pushed to the side.”
But the health law takes them under wing and ends lifetime coverage caps — a particular boost to HIV and AIDS patients, who frequently need costly medicines, she said. LGBT members are often more at-risk for mental health problems, she added, and have higher tobacco use rates, the Examiner reported.
Among the special benefits for LGBT members: Insurers can’t impose lifetime dollar limits on insurance coverage. And starting in 2014, insurers can’t deny coverage or charge higher costs for pre-existing conditions for LGBT members. Insurers also will have to cover screening and tests for HIV-related services — including contraception and treatment for depression, the Examiner reported.
“Like all Americans, LGBT Americans deserve respectful health care providers and the security of accessible, affordable health care that meets their needs,” Ms. Sebelius said, in a statement. “As we observe LGBT Pride Month, I am pleased to say that the [HHS] continues working hard to make this a reality for the LGBT community.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.