- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Kathleen Sebelius: ‘Obamacare’ has dedicated provisions for LGBTs
Question of the Day
"Obamacare" has some special benefits just for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered community, Health and Human Service Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said.
And the promotion of these benefits comes to coincide with President Obama's declaration of June as LGBT Pride Month, the Washington Examiner reported.
"For too long," she said, in the Examiner report, "[they] were pushed to the side."
But the health law takes them under wing and ends lifetime coverage caps — a particular boost to HIV and AIDS patients, who frequently need costly medicines, she said. LGBT members are often more at-risk for mental health problems, she added, and have higher tobacco use rates, the Examiner reported.
Among the special benefits for LGBT members: Insurers can't impose lifetime dollar limits on insurance coverage. And starting in 2014, insurers can't deny coverage or charge higher costs for pre-existing conditions for LGBT members. Insurers also will have to cover screening and tests for HIV-related services — including contraception and treatment for depression, the Examiner reported.
"Like all Americans, LGBT Americans deserve respectful health care providers and the security of accessible, affordable health care that meets their needs," Ms. Sebelius said, in a statement. "As we observe LGBT Pride Month, I am pleased to say that the [HHS] continues working hard to make this a reality for the LGBT community."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Federal judge angered by Hobby Lobby decision tells Supreme Court to 'stfu'
- Israel kicks off massive assault on Hamas: 'We're taking this to the next step'
- Obama takes up pen, paper to fight for Israeli-Palestinian peace
- Dinesh D'Souza book yanked from Costco shelves
- Mafia reacts to Church boot by bowing Virgin Mary before mob boss's home
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- GORDON: Russia plays its own game away from the World Cup
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Malaysian MP not sorry for tweeting 'long live Hitler' after Germany win
- Costco to re-stock Dinesh D'Souza's 'America' after public outry
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener