- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
FBI agents raid offices of California Democrat, Latino caucus
Question of the Day
The warrants are sealed by the court, CNN reported.
“Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation served search warrants in the State Capitol at the office of Sen. Ron Calderon and in the Legislative Office Building at the Latino Legislative Caucus office,” said Tony Beard, chief sergeant at arms for the California Senate, in a statement reported by CNN. “Those warrants are sealed by order of the federal court. Therefore, we have no further information. The Senate has and will continue to fully cooperate with the agents in this matter.”
One FBI spokeswoman said in the CNN report that no arrests are yet planned. A spokeswoman with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento said the searches aren’t in response to anything that’s occurred recently — or that’s related to public safety.
Mr. Calderon’s office declined to comment. But his attorney, Mark Geragos — known for prior representation of high profile clients like Michael Jackson — said the FBI search is “an example of how out-of-control this Department of Justice is. They leak the search warrant but won’t reveal information about the investigation. It’s sinful how the FBI just shows up,” CNN reported.
Mr. Calderon is a Democrat.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- 'No American is proud' of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- Planned Parenthood strikes 'pro-choice' label in favor of 'women's health'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world