- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LAMBRO: Scandal stranger than science fiction
Team Obama tests the outer limits of outrage
“Secret accounts also drive perceptions that government officials are trying to hide actions or decisions,” the AP pointedly said.
One of the administration’s top Cabinet officials using a secret government email account is Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, who has been in the thick of Mr. Obama’s continuing controversies and legal fights over his health care law.
How secret is Mrs. Sebelius’s off-the-books email account? Google, the global search engine, said it could not find any reference on the Internet to her email address.
This is a tightly closed administration that zealously guards its secrets to the point where the Justice Department has secretly seized and searched the phone records of Washington journalists and the emails of a Fox News reporter — another scandal that has triggered a rash of investigative hearings in the House and Senate.
Part of that widening investigation centers on Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.’s sworn testimony before the House Judiciary Committee on May 15, when he said he was not involved in the “potential prosecution of the press for the disclosure of material.”
“This is not something I’ve ever been involved in, heard of, [or] would think would be wise policy,” Mr. Holder said.
News accounts have reported that Mr. Holder signed off on the decision to obtain the Fox News reporter’s emails, and Republicans are looking into whether he lied under oath when he made that statement.
These investigations — plus ongoing inquiries into the administration’s misinformation about the deadly terrorist attacks at our consulate in Benghazi, Libya, where four Americans, including the ambassador, were killed — cast a darkening cloud of scandal and possibly criminal activity over Mr. Obama’s second term.
Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, says Mr. Obama has become “mired” in a swamp of scandals and that “the president’s credibility obviously is at stake here.”
A Gallup poll on Monday said Mr. Obama’s job-approval score has sunk to 47 percent, a 12-month low, and, lately, the West Wing is increasingly sounding like it’s coming unglued.
As Mr. McCain observed Monday on CBS’ “This Morning” in a delicious bit of understatement, administration officials are “not covering themselves with distinction here.”
Donald Lambro is a syndicated columnist and contributor to The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
Get Breaking Alerts
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable