- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Church of England: Bishops won’t oppose same-sex marriage
The Church of England will no longer stand in the way of same-sex marriage legislation, but will rather put its efforts toward improving it, a top bishop said on Wednesday.
The Right Rev. Tim Stevens — who's the bishop of Leicester and the convener of the Lords Spiritual in the House of Lords — put out the new policy one day after the parliament's upper house shot down an amendment to kill a gay marriage bill, United Press International reported.
After that failure, the church decided to focus its legislative efforts on strengthening the legal right of officials with strong objections against same-sex unions to refuse to perform the ceremonies.
"Both houses of parliament have now expressed a clear view by large majorities on the principle that there should be legislation to enable same-sex marriages to take place in England and Wales," Mr. Stevens said, in the UPI report. "It is now the duty and responsibility of the bishops who sit in the House of Lords to recognize the implications of this decision and to join with other members in the task of considering how this legislation can be put into better shape."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.