- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
‘Awesome’: Iowa City bans drones, red light cameras and license plate readers
An Iowa town could be one of the first municipalities in the nation to ban drones — a bold move in an era of increasing concerns over constitutional privacy rights.
Residents of Iowa City successfully petitioned the city council to ban the local use of drones, license plate readers and red-light cameras.
Iowa City permits local petitions to become ordinances to be brought before the council — the only municipality in the state that allows such, according to Ars Technica.
The website reports that the ordinance was passed unanimously by the council Tuesday evening.
The bill currently reads:
"The ordinance is the result of a local petition brought forward by a citizen group (and represented by the American Civil Liberties Union of Iowa) that originally began as a referendum on red light cameras. Iowa City is the only municipality in the state that allows for local petitions to turn into ordinances that will be brought before the city council. Some states have similar lawmaking procedures at the state-level, but Iowa does not."
Lee Tien, a staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a digital-rights group, called the ordinance "pretty awesome to see."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- FBI's facial-recognition database projected to have 52M images by 2015: report
- Graffiti drones are here: Creator dreams of 'sending my drones out my bedroom window'
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.