Prince Philip: British royal enters hospital for operation

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

LONDON (AP) — Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, has been admitted to a London hospital for an exploratory operation, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.

The palace said the operation on the 91-year-old prince was planned and comes after “abdominal investigations,” but it did not elaborate.

In a brief statement, the palace said Philip is expected to be in the hospital for up to two weeks.

The queen’s husband was admitted as planned to the London Clinic shortly after attending a Buckingham Palace garden party hosted by his wife.

The private hospital is a longtime favorite of celebrities and royals in need of treatment.

After pulling out of an event earlier this week because of illness, Philip the next day attended a service to mark the 60th anniversary of the queen’s coronation.

Philip’s health was in the spotlight last summer when he spent almost a week in the hospital after a recurrence of a bladder infection.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks